Shang Eun Park

My name is Shang Eun Park (Paul). I graduated from Chapman University School of Pharmacy (CUSP) in 2017 with a Master of Science in Pharmaceutical Science (MSPS) with a focus on peptide therapeutics for Prostate Cancer. Now, I am almost done with a Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Science in 2020 with a focus on targeting anticancer conjugate with cell-penetrating peptides. During my free time, I tutor a tutoring agency in Algebra, Anatomy, A.P. Calculus, A.P. Biology, A.P. Physics, and A.P. Chemistry. I also try to improve skills that I am weak at, like studying for Phyton, or working out with bodybuilders.

Career
I am in a Ph.D. program at CUSP, mainly involved in research and discussions with fellow students and post-doctoral researchers. I am looking toward working in the pharmaceutical industry upon graduation.

Goals as CUSP Alumni Advisory Board Member
CUSP was a fresh starting school when I first joined in 2015, and my cohort of students did not have any precedent who was able to guide us or to be looked up to because we were pioneers. I want to set the patterns and guidance for new coming students. Thus I am also involved in Student Leadership Board Committee, Dean’s Student Leadership Advisory Council, Graduate Research Program Student Representative, and Graduate Program Student President to establish the AAPS-CU student chapter and served as a founding chair.

Memories at CUSP
I used to work in the late evenings and nights. When the laboratory building is almost empty at 2 am with only 2-3 Ph.D. students or post-docs left in the entire building, I always sing very loud in the lab as well as across the hallway. If you hear some singing at late night from the lab building, yeah… it’s me.

Messages to CUSP Alumni and Students
CUSP will provide as many opportunities as you can handle. Seize every opportunity. Despite how hard personal life is and the current situation may be, if you were to have a retrospective view of the future, it all would have gone smoothly. Time is running anyhow, so enjoy NOW.

This interview has been edited for clarity.