Update on Phase 4 Research and Creative Activity
July 1, 2021
As Chapman transitions to return-to-campus and implementation of state health and safety requirements, it is time to transition to Phase 4 Research and Creative Activities effective July 6, 2021. This corresponds to the decision of return-to-campus for all faculty, staff and students and the new guidelines for indoor facilities that conform with State and local guidelines.
What is Included in Phase 4 Activities?
- Permits all research and creative activities that personnel can perform while complying with Chapman guidelines and directives.
- Research or creative activities that occur on campus or off campus.
- Invited guests, visitors and human research subjects (including their family members and/or caregivers) may participate in research activities. Investigators must ensure that invited guest and visitors comply with Chapman guidelines and directives and any other safety protocols established by the investigator.
What are the COVID-19 Safety Requirements?
- All activities must comply with Chapman guidelines and directives. These include training, daily screening, face covering and testing (depending on vaccination status), and hand washing.
- All off campus activities must comply with all requirements, directives and guidance issued by the entity managing the location or site where personnel will perform the off-campus activities.
- For the safety and well-being of researchers and human subjects, investigators are responsible for maintaining a record of invited guests, visitors and human research subjects (name and contact information) for contact tracing purposes. These records should be kept separate from the research study records.
- Investigators/Researchers may establish more restrictive requirements, safety protocols, or protective measures applicable to their research or creative activity program.
- Site Specific Plans will no longer be needed as part of Phase 4 activities.
When and How will Activities Transition to Phase 4?
- Chapman will start the transition to Phase 4 activities on July 6, 2021.
- Chapman will remain in Phase 4 until notified by the Vice President for Research who could announce an end to the phased-research program depending on university, state and local requirements or move to an earlier phase due to prevailing circumstances/conditions.
Who Should I Contact with Questions?
Please contact Vice President for Research, Tom Piechota, (email@example.com, 714-628-2897) or Director of Research Integrity, Michael Briggs (firstname.lastname@example.org, 714-628-7201) with questions and comments about Phase 4 activities.