Congratulations Ben Janda ’23 and Dr. Allegra Liberman-Martin for their recent award from the American Chemical Society for Inorganic Chemistry Undergraduate Research!

2022 Division of Inorganic Chemistry Award for Undergraduate Research is presented to one student/preceptor duo for three separate categories to recognize the collaborative research of an outstanding undergraduate student/preceptor team in the field of inorganic chemistry.

As winners of the 2022 Division of Inorganic Chemistry Award for Undergraduate Research, Janda will receive $1,000 and both Janda and Dr. Liberman-Martin will receive a personalized plaque to be displayed. Janda will also present his research at the Spring 2022 Undergraduate Research at the Frontiers of Inorganic Chemistry Symposium in March.

Janda noted on his recent award:

“I feel extremely honored to win this prestigious award from the ACS Division of Inorganic Chemistry. I am very proud to be heavily involved in research at Chapman and I am grateful to be able to represent Chapman at the ACS National Meeting in March of 2023. I would like to thank Dr. Liberman-Martin for being an amazing mentor throughout my time in their research lab and Dr. Schwartz for supporting me during my time in the chemistry program and for nominating us for this award.”

Janda’s research focuses on the use of electron-rich carbon compounds called carbodiphosphoranes as catalysts. The catalytic reduction of isocyanates, which are R-N=C=O structures, where he has found that a cyclic catalyst structure is best for these reactions. Janda will be studying the exact steps involved in these reactions for his capstone project.

Congratulations to Ben Janda ’23 and Dr. Liberman-Martin!