Announced on August 11, 2020
The Schmid College of Science and Technology is fully committed to providing students with the highest quality of personalized education via online instruction.
Schmid’s faculty and staff have spent the summer preparing for a range of possible teaching modes, and are now actively focused on delivering the college’s lecture and lab-based courses in an online format. We are also planning a number of exciting virtual events, speakers, and activities to support our science community and deliver the Chapman Experience that our students expect and deserve.
Our summer preparation and activity has included:
- Weekly faculty/staff roundtable discussions and presentations on best practices in online lectures, labs, assessments, and pedagogy
- Designing interactive online versions of our science labs that will include features such as instructional videos prepared by our faculty, active learning exercises, data simulations, and analysis of actual laboratory experimental data
- Extensive faculty training on Canvas course design, interactive online tools/apps, and strategies to avoid Zoom fatigue (it’s real!)
- Professional development focused on student well-being for our Grand Challenges Initiative (GCI) faculty, who work closely with our first- and second-year students as they make the transition to college
- Scheduling virtual versions of the Schmid Science Forum, Biochemistry/Chemistry lecture series, Math/Physics/Computing seminars, and other speaker series
- Organizing a SARS-CoV-2 Summer Seminar Series, Schmid Career Panel for incoming students, and weekly tips from our Schmid College Career Advisor Leanna Izen
- Restarting scientific research activities over the summer, following health and safety guidelines in compliance with the State of California and OC Health Care Agency requirements
- Making plans for enriching and fun activities with our Schmid student organizations. Consider getting involved!
In short, our Schmid College faculty and staff are working hard to welcome students back, both warmly and virtually, for the start of this surely-memorable academic year.
We encourage you to check your email for our Schmid College Weekly Newsletter and follow us on Instagram @ChapmanSchmid for updates and virtual opportunities to connect this fall. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with questions at email@example.com.
This message was emailed to all students taking a Schmid College course for Fall 2020.