Our next Green Panther Spotlight is on Leah Thomas ’17, who majored in Environmental Science and Policy with a cluster in Comparative World Religions. Leah advocates for greener living and sustainability on her wellness blog and Instagram, Green Girl Leah. She is also currently on the Communications team at Patagonia. 

Can you discuss your current position/what you have done in your career since graduation?

After graduating I worked as a summer RA at Chapman and a full time intern at ECOS (Earth Friendly Products) and transitioned into a full-time role as an assistant for their Communications team. After around a year I accepted a similar position at Patagonia working as an assistant to their PR team and VP of Public Engagement.

Any other past or current involvement with sustainability and environmentalism that you would like to discuss?

I’m so happy my full time job allows me to dive deeper into sustainability, but I also like using my Instagram blog: @GreenGirlLeah to explore other areas of environmentalism and diversity + inclusion. That platform has allowed me to have a voice and practice my writing, while also engaging with a community of people also interested in their own sustainability journey.

What environmental issue are you most passionate about?

I’m passionate about how environmentalism contributes to wellness, which sort of falls under environmental justice and public health. When people have access to a clean and safe environment (air, water, etc.) they have a better chance at living better and thriving.

What is a fun fact about yourself?

I don’t know if this is fun, but I’ve lived in Missouri, rural Kansas, D.C, and California and have driven from California to Missouri twice!