unnamed-4

Political Science Student Atty McLellan with her poster.

Earlier this month Dr. Crystal Murphy (Political Science) and her student, Atty McLellan, gave a poster presentation at the Effective Altruism Global Conference at UC Berkeley.

Dr. Murphy, Mclellan and Henley Lab fellow Sarah Lemay, worked together on the South Sudan World Food Program Cash Transfers research project over the summer, which stemmed from a BURN summer fellowship and led to this incredible opportunity.

“Working with Dr. Murphy this summer not only improved my research skills, but allowed me to see the various ways in which social research attempts can improve the lives of people all over the world. Dr. Murphy encouraged me to look beyond the analytical aspect of research and attempt to understand the real life consequences of our work,” said Lemay.

The Effective Altruism community is very interested in cash transfers as a new, efficient trend in philanthropy, and their presentation was about how, at this critical juncture, people can be thoughtful in how they craft research to determine how they work in practice.14079605_10104389547189101_1471107196139142741_n

“Working on this presentation with Dr. Murphy gave me the opportunities to develop as a student and as a researcher, and attending EA allowed me to feel as a validated contributor to the realm of international development,” said McLellan.

About EA Global:
EA Global is a project by the Effective Altruists of Berkeley, a UC-Berkeley student group, and the Centre for Effective Altruism. We work on many projects related to the health and stability of the Effective Altruism Movement.