Sara Morgan is a Communication Studies major and member of the School of Communication Student Advisory Board. The SAB advocates for the needs of students in the SoC by serving as the student voice to the administration and generating and implementing programs and initiatives designed to enhance the student experience within the School. Have questions, concerns, or ideas about the student experience in the School of Communication? Let her know!

At 5 years old, I was on the playground creating insanely rad and wild fantasies with my friends that we acted out for hours on end.

At 10, I was talking my parents ears off, telling them about the cupcake exhibition I spent all day creating and the meaning behind everything from each “piece’s” name to the placement of the light blue sprinkle on cupcake number four.

At 14, I spent every day after school creating stories on stage, using dance, singing, and acting as my tools of expression.

Taken while raising money for CASA at my sorority’s annual CASA Carnival.

From 5 to 20, I wrote, spoke, sang, danced, cooked, baked, drew, acted, and crafted thousands of stories into existence.  It is this innate calling that led me to study Communication and Graphic Design at Chapman University.  While I didn’t know “what I wanted to be” (my least favorite question of all time) or what exactly I wanted to do, I knew that I wanted to continue telling stories through intentional art, and human centered-design in order to break down barriers and shape our ever-evolving cultural narrative for the better.

A NorCal native, I grew up in San Jose, California, inspired by the entrepreneurial spirit, diversity, and ambition in which I was cocooned.  After searching far and wide for that mythical “perfect fit” that aligned with my ambitions and passions, I discovered Chapman.  Now a second-semester sophomore, the experiences I cultivated have guided me even further on my ever-evolving path as a creative storyteller and designer.

In the classroom, I have explored my interests immersing myself in classes such as, Theories of Persuasion, Art History, Storytelling for Business, Intercultural Communication, Mass Communication, Visual Communication, and Branding and Advertising Design.

Outside of the classroom, I have further discovered both my ambitions and self through a variety of experiences. I have taken a Nonfiction Storytelling course abroad in Nepal and Bhutan, held a job in the Department of Student Engagement on campus, found an empowering community in my sorority where I am currently serving as the Chief External Affairs Officer, and soon, I will be interning with ThenWhat?, a box breaking branding firm based in Los Angeles.

Me and my documentary group in Bhutan before we took on an 8 MILE HIKE.

Ever the storyteller, as a member of the School of Communication Advisory Board, I aspire to be here for students looking for guidance in crafting their stories, curious about the role that the School of Communication may play in their narrative. I look forward to joining students we all discover the place that the School of Communication holds in our lives this year and beyond!