Hey it’s HollyK.

Hello All, I am Holly Knox, a senior at Chapman University, majoring in Communication studies with a cluster in Leadership. This summer, amid the COVID-19 pandemic, I had the pleasure of being the Social Media Marketing intern for the Fish Interfaith Center at Chapman.

My position required me to market and brand the “Fish” via all social media platforms. I found myself involved in weekly strategic planning meetings to develop a campaign for the fall semester for all returning students, developing impactful social media posts, increasing the social media presence, thinking critically, developing creative ideas on how “Fish” could continue in the future and how the Fish Interfaith Center could form a connection with the students at Chapman University.

An image I put together to advertise the “Chapman Hope” initiative and that of the Fish Interfaith Center 🙂 #chapmanhope

Working alongside everyone, including my supervisor, Dr. Kumar, I found myself consistently encouraged. This drove me to really dive deeper into everything I desired to create for the Fish Interfaith Center. Despite the fact that all of my work was done remotely, I could not have imagined this internship to go any differently. Everyone was very welcoming via the weekly Zoom meetings, and I felt inspired to connect creatively with those who found an interest in the content we shared, and I was able to build on skills I really did not know I truly had in creating content-based ideas. I could not speak more highly of all the individuals whom I met and had the pleasure of working with.

The most rewarding feeling comes from unexpected praise. I was given much praise at the beginning of my time working for “Fish”. Dr. Kumar voiced the impact I was having on everyone who viewed our social media page and how he had people messaging him regarding the posts I created. They had nothing but positive comments. This continued until the last day being part of the team. Knowing that people are viewing, being influenced by, and are intrigued by what I had to say felt very rewarding. I had the opportunity to create and draw people in who I would not normally have the chance to reach. My confidence in such work grew based on what I did for “Fish”.

Toward the end of my internship, I had the honor of creating the images for an upcoming fall campaign. Being given the freedom to create such was definitely a challenge. I have discovered a talent for this type of work, which I would have never discovered without this internship.

I could go on and on discussing my time working with the kind people of the Fish Interfaith Center. For now, I will just say check out and follow the Fish Interfaith Center on various social media platforms to see for yourself what they have to say. I have always believed that we should be mindful of all we do, especially in our day-to-day lives. One should always be aware and challenge our minds to think in new ways. We should all have the desire to find our sense of calm in the world and strive to be as healthy mentally and physically as we can be. This is exactly why the “Fish” exists. Take advantage of the outlet while it is available. I can promise you will not regret it.

Thank you to all who I had the pleasure of meeting and working with during this experience.

🙂