My name is Alex Cocoros, and I am a Junior at Chapman University, majoring in Communication Studies with a themed inquiry in American History. During the Fall 2023 Semester, I had the opportunity to Intern at the Sports Marketing Agency, HallPass Media. Their services include specializing in the sports & entertainment industry, focusing on marketing strategy, creative services, event management, and digital marketing. HallPass Media has teamed up with several high clients, such as the NBA, Draft Kings, and the leading NHL Podcast, “Missin’ Curfew.”

Working @ the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas last July, I was able to work side by side and get to know the President of Hall Pass Media, Albert Hall, and the Digital Media Coordinator, Max Miller. I had such a positive experience collaborating and working with them that I turned that experience into an Internship this fall at their office in Costa Mesa. Max is a Chapman University alumni and is continuously looking to bring on Chapman students to help them gain insight into digital media and sports. 

Myself, along with the Missin’ Curfew Team!

This fall, I collaborated with my supervisor, Max Miller, and the Digital Media department, focusing primarily on the top-rated NHL Podcast, “Missin’ Curfew.” In this role, I took charge of setting up the studio and handling tasks such as configuring cameras, lighting, and audio equipment to ensure the seamless development of the show and its overall presentation. As the podcast was filming, my responsibilities extended to note-taking and timestamp creation, facilitating an easy navigation experience for viewers as they listened and watched the show. Missin’ Curfew also has a partnership with Draft Kings, so I was tasked with marking explicit words ensuring compliance with the podcast’s censorship requirements. In the post-production phase, I had the opportunity to showcase my editing skills by creating short videos tailored for the podcast’s social media platforms, including Instagram, TikTok, and YouTube. This multifaceted Internship provided me with hands-on experience in various aspects of podcast production and digital media, contributing significantly to my skill set and professional growth.

I am fortunate that I was able to use the interpersonal skills that I learned while taking communication courses here at Chapman. I was able to communicate critically with my co-workers and the on-air talent of Missin’ Curfew’s former NHL players, Shane O’Brien and Scottie Upshall. For example, if there was a guest on the show, I had to communicate and provide Shane and Scottie with the guest’s background information and potential talking points that they could hone in on throughout the show. My supervisor, Max, constantly challenged me to improve my skills within production. Hence, learning to communicate by asking questions and talking to him about ways I could become a better worker proved to be beneficial for me. COM-102, Public Speaking in a Diverse Society, taught me to be confident and prepared when talking to a wide range of people and to know what to say when a pressured situation arose as an intern.

I believe this Internship not only complemented my academic knowledge but also provided me with a unique set of challenges and experiences that included critical thinking, problem-solving, and adaptability—skills that are indispensable in the professional world and cannot be fully grasped within the confines of a classroom.

The success story I am most proud of during my time as an intern was learning to set up the studio and the podcast. In the beginning, I would always need Max’s help and expertise on how to get the right shot on camera, what specific tools I needed to use when editing with Adobe Premiere Pro, or how to adjust audio levels. As I end my Internship experience, I now know how to set up the studio on my own and have become a much better editor. I am proud of myself because there were several times when I could have gotten frustrated, discouraged, and irritated, but keeping a composed manner was beneficial for me as I strived to get better at my skill set.

Early morning setup of the studio and podcast, Missin’ Curfew!

My advice for students interested in this field or working for this company is to believe in yourself and always be open to trying new things. Every day I went to work, I had yet to learn what task I would be assigned or who I would have to interact with. Be adaptable! But also have that inner confidence that no one else can teach!

In conclusion, my internship with HallPass Media has been an eye-opening experience that extends beyond professional growth. Through my challenges, I became a more adept problem-solver and critical thinker. The hands-on exposure to the world of podcast production and digital media refined my technical skills and instilled in me a greater sense of adaptability and resilience. As I walk away from this experience, I carry with me a set of practical skills and a broader perspective that has positively influenced my personal and academic development.