Hi there! My name is Anika Iverson, and I’m a Senior Strategic and Corporate Communication major with a minor in Business Administration. This past spring semester, I had the opportunity to work as an intern at Michele Marie PR, based in Los Angeles, CA. Michele Marie PR is a full-service PR agency specializing in editorial, celebrity, and event-driven press. Based on both coasts of the country, Michele Marie PR’s LA office specializes in VIP (celebrity and influencer) public relations, while the New York City office works on the editorial side. 

One of the gift boxes I put together! This was for the beauty and skincare company, Neom, celebrating the release of their founder’s new book.

As a VIP Public Relations Intern this past semester, I engaged in industry research across the fashion, lifestyle, and beauty sectors to effectively develop targeted celebrity and influencer contact lists and draft pitches for new client launches. Since Michele Marie PR’s LA office specializes in celebrity and influencer PR, a significant aspect of this internship was brand and product gifting to various VIP clients. My job as an intern was to research, develop, and maintain targeted contact lists of influencers and celebrities that fit with each brand’s campaign image. When the brand decided on the specific VIP clients they wanted to gift their products to, I would put together a gift box to send out. This was a really cool experience because I got to practice brand awareness and understand how each campaign has a different image they want to convey to their audience.

Another big aspect of this internship is working in the showroom that is part of the LA office. Connected to its office, Michele Marie PR has a massive showroom with rotating brands’ products on display for stylists, editors, and VIPs to come to look at. Because the office had such a large showroom, gifting events were held each month for these clients to go in and try out the clients Michele Marie PR was representing. These events were super fun because, as an intern, I got to see first-hand what goes into putting together a successful event. During these days, I helped put together gifts that VIPs ordered based on what was on display in the showroom and got to interface with the celebrities, influencers, and editors present at the events. I love talking to new people, and chatting with clients of my company has allowed me to practice how to drive awareness for brands/products in an authentic and genuine way. 

The showroom in the Michele Marie PR office! There are so many cool brands on display!

Overall, my internship experience this semester has been amazing! As a senior about to graduate in a couple of weeks, I now feel so much more confident as I begin my post-grad journey with this experience under my belt. I am more passionate about the world of PR and cannot wait to build upon the skills I gained in college and this internship in my future jobs. If you ever have the opportunity to intern at a PR agency, I highly recommend it!