Hello! My name is Stephanie Hernandez, and I am writing a blog post about my current spring internship, how I landed it, and what it’s all about! I am a junior majoring in Strategic and Corporate Communication with a minor in Entrepreneurship. I recently switched to the School of Communication and have been loving everything about it. I am also thrilled to have received a spring internship with Frances Carhart Educational Consulting.

Frances Carhart Logo

I landed this internship very unexpectedly. I had been applying to several internships on Handshake and LinkedIn, but unfortunately, I was not getting accepted or hearing back from any of them. It was very discouraging and stressful for me at the time as I was continuously facing rejection and eager to secure an internship for the spring. However, I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, so I remained hopeful. Then, one day, I received an email from an old high school counselor, mentioning she was touring some colleges in California. She was trying to get in touch with older students who had graduated from our high school. During a lunch meeting, we got to talking, and it turned out she no longer worked for the high school but had instead opened up her own private consulting business. Given my minor and interest in entrepreneurship, this opportunity was also very appealing. I wanted to know more about her journey starting up her own business and what it has been like for her. Following some discussion, we both agreed that it would be a fantastic opportunity for me to work as her intern and learn about social media marketing in order to assist her in expanding her clientele and connecting with families who could be interested in counseling services. Securing this remote internship with Frances has been a truly unique experience for which I am incredibly thankful. At Frances Carhart Educational Consulting, I work under Frances’ supervision, and we meet over Zoom once a week. Some of my tasks include going through emails, posting and creating content for the social media pages, and reaching out to potential new clients. I am learning what happens behind the scenes of starting a business, understanding all the work that goes into it, and experiencing the mix of stress as well as the fun that comes along with it. My experience in my communication courses has immensely supported me in my internship because I gained critical skills in public speaking, giving presentations, and communicating honestly with other people which would all eventually help me in my internship with potential clients. It has been a fantastic experience, and I’m saddened that my internship is ending soon.