Of all the many things you learn in the classrooms, editing suites, and backlots here at Dodge College, the most important of them is something you can’t even learn from a textbook: networking.

As we all know, nearly every media industry today functions at least to some degree on the associations and contacts industry professionals pick up throughout their careers.  While recent developments in the internet, like Monster.com, LinkedIn, and Twitter, have made it easier to discover more talent than ever before, most hard-working career-minded folks still trust those people they’ve met face-to-face far more than the slate of emails they receive each day.  Want to stand out from the crowd?  Get yourself an “in.”

One thing we hear from students about to graduate, and even alumni who have moved on years ago, is that most people feel they never really took full advantage of the resources and community of fledgling professionals that you can find right here on campus.  You are already working with some of the most talented individuals soon to rule the film/PR/advertising/TV/documentary industries: from your fellow students, to the illustrious professors who grace our halls, there is still one criminally un-tapped resource available to students throughout the year: our amazing selection of industry guests.

In addition to frequent lectures and film introductions by industry heavy-hitters (Richard Dreyfuss was just here on Monday to introduce Close Encounters of the Third Kind), Dodge College has for years featured a program to give you exclusive, direct access to some of the biggest names in the business.  We call this program “Industry Insiders,” and each semester, ask a filmmaker to join us for weekly visits, screenings, and classes.  As most of you already know, this semester’s Filmmaker In Residence is Randal Kleiser, director of such classics as Grease, Blue Lagoon, and Flight of the Navigator.

Every semester, students rave about these programs, often returning year after year to visit with the rotating cast of professionals who join us.  Here’s what some of them are saying from last semester’s evenings with Richard Benjamin:

His advice was helpful in developing my own stories and his anecdotes were full of wisdom, and best of all, I always felt like an equal to Richard.  It’s the type of experience that instills confidence in a filmmaker and what i feel sets Chapman apart from other film schools. -Alejandro Aguilera, Producing ’11

He slowed me down, focused me and I was able to flesh out a pilot that I’m proud of. -Ryan Riley, Screenwriting ’11

If there’s one thing that i learned from Richard Benjamin, it’s how to streamline a story into a straightforward narrative… but he also taught me not to give up on what i believe in. It’s because of this, that I have constructed a fun script without losing what makes it unique. -Max Page, Screenwriting ’11

I feel both honored and privileged to have been among this year’s Knott Scholars.  Having someone with as much experience and clout in the industry I’m just entering take a personal interest in my work was nothing short of an extraordinary experience.  He provided me with invaluable encouragement and proved himself to be a very capable and accommodating mentor. –Nico Monetti, Screenwriting ’11

What i learned from Richard in the several weeks was something that I could not compare to anything I’ve experienced.  Richard’s patience in watching and giving [his] opinion of my thesis film is a luxury that I will truly miss in the making of my next film. –David Helman, Film Production ’11

Being an O.L. Halsell scholar this semester has been an invaluable experience.  My meetings with Tony Bill challenged me to take another look at my work and work harder as a director.  Getting an industry professional’s opinion on different cuts of my thesis film helped to give me insight on focusing on the story and what’s important.  This has encouraged me to not limit myself in terms of medium, but to expand my horizons towards a new frontier in the world of being a visual narrative storyteller. -Darryl Wharton-Rigby, Production/Directing ’10

However, the one thing we also hear from students at the end of the year is they often wished they’d signed up earlier!  So what are you waiting for?

To apply for a dinner event, please contact our Events Specialist, Julie Gorzik, by email or at 714-997-6766, or our student Assistant Events Coordinator, Lindsey Saletta, by email, or at 714-997-6765.