Every so often, we’ll be spotlighting alumni and what they are up to these days. These Q&A sessions will give you a bit of insight into where the world has taken them since graduation.

This week, the spotlight is on Paul Higgins (BA ’85).

DODGE: Share your career path with us – how did you get where you are now?

PAUL:
Since 1984, I have produced and hosted thousands of hours of programming for a wide variety of networks, delivering a wide range of content. I am mostly known for my sports programming and hosting of events. My goal is to “always tell a story” and do so with a positive and upbeat approach.

I have also taught at Chapman University as an adjunct professor, and over the last four years I took a sputtering television/film program at JSerra Catholic High School to the most popular elective courses on campus. My television/film curriculum is being rolled out national (through video and print) by Learning Re-Defined to schools seeking a better way to teach TV/Film subjects in this Digital Revolution.

After working as an intern for Family Feud in 1984-85, I was hired as a writer/researcher while I was in college for a number of game shows that included Sale of the Century, Scrabble, Time Machine, and a host of pilots. I also worked for NBC’s Days of Our Lives as a PA/Runner and ABC Sports as a segment producer – this all happened straight out of college and laid the foundation for me launching my own company: Athletes In Motion Sports Television, Inc.

I got the idea to launch a local cable show (Athletes In Motion) that would feature young athletes in all sports and my goal was to do it with highlights, interviews, music, features etc. I made it slick and fun to watch for the entire community. In conjunction with my Athletes In Motion program, I was asked to produce a college basketball show, and I became the Sports Director/Broadcaster on KDOC’s nightly news. An OC Register Columnist said I was “Orange County’s first Sports Anchor Personality.”

man holding microphone standing on football field

The ball kept rolling as my Athletes In Motion show was picked up nationally by FOX and then ESPN2. I produced a number of other shows for ESPN ranging, from adventure racing to snowboarding. I also launched my action sports talk show on ESPN called 2Xtremes Beyond Sport.

At the same time the X Games were launched and I became the lead analyst for all skateboarding and BMX events. I eventually took over the role as Play by Play. At the same time I became associated with the X Games/KIA World Extreme Games in Asia and have been the main host of this event in Shanghai China. I produced all the lead programming for the Winter X Games and hosted a number of action sports X Games related shows for ESPN.

During my time and continued work abroad I have always kept the local community connection alive with my programming in California.

I firmly believe the second half of my career is going to be more rewarding and memorable then my first 30 years. I launched Kids In Motion in October 2010, and we changed the name to YTN not too long ago. Within The YTN, we have launched a number of channels that include the The YTN Music Channel, School Events Channel, OC Cheer Channel, and more.

DODGE: What was the biggest adjustment you faced after graduation and how did you overcome it?

PAUL:
One of the best aspects of going to Chapman was the transition from Chapman to the real world. It was actually very easy for me, because of the internships I started the first semester of my senior year. By the time I graduated from Chapman, I had already been working in the television industry for 5 months. I had quit my part-time retail job and was meeting with my professors at Chapman in the evenings, getting caught up on projects, readings and happenings at the school. My transition from Chapman was seamless and I owe that to Ron Thronson, Bob Bassett, and Janell Shearer.

two men wearing headsets looking at camera and smiling
DODGE: What is the best advice you have received and/or what advice would you give current students?

PAUL:
The best advice I have received was from my father: “Treat people the way you want to be treated.” That is certainly something I live by every day. He also would say “If you’re going to do something, then do it right.”  He also instilled in me, along with my mother,  “listen to people – hear what they have to say.” I believe that is why I have become very comfortable interviewing people on my talk shows or teaching students. You have to make them feel comfortable. I very rarely, if ever, have a script or write questions down when I am on television interviewing a guest. My thinking is that if I need notes, then I should not be the interviewer. An interview has to feel natural; it’s just a conversation and I am super curious about every person I interview, so my questions roll out pretty easy for me.

My advice to students is to sit in the first row in class, ask questions, and participate. Don’t be afraid to speak. I am amazed at how many adults “in the real world” are passive in business and or social situations because they’re nervous about what they might say.

The most important piece of wisdom I give my students is to stress the importance of getting an internship. If you’re lucky you’ll get a paid internship, but don’t expect it. Lastly, I always say to students that the patterns they set in high school and college are the patterns that they’re going to live the rest of their life.

DODGE: What is your favorite memory from your time at Chapman?

PAUL:
My graduation day – my parents were so proud and it was such a beautiful day. Held in what was the “sunken lawn” it will be a day I will always remember and cherish. Also, working on the Chapman films during Christmas break. Great times with some very special people.

man being interviewed with a cameraman standing beside him
DODGE: What have you taken from the classroom and applied to your career?

PAUL:
Sitting in the first row of every seminar, business meeting, or gathering I attend. It allows me to focus and it directly connects me with the “powers at be” in any and all of those situations. Plain and simple – I worked really hard in school because I had to each and every day. There are certainly smarter people than myself but I am very driven and I like to think that creates an equal playing field. The entertainment business is filled with nepotism – I did not benefit from that great advantage so I learned early that you have to work extra hard and when you get the opportunity to crack open the door you have to work even harder to be successful and stay in the game.

DODGE: Have you received any awards or recognitions?

PAUL:
I have and they’re on a shelf in my garage or stored away but what I am most proud of is my five incredible children and my beautiful wife of 19 years. I am blessed and I am very thankful for having such wonderful parents that taught me the right way of doing things. They were always there for me whenever I needed them. My goal is to be there for my family