Every so often, we’ll be spotlighting alumni and what they are up to these days. These Q&A sessions will give you a bit of insight into where the world has taken them since graduation.

This week, the spotlight is on Bruno Tatalovic (MFA/Film Production ’07).

DODGE: Share your career path with us – how did you get where you are now?

BRUNO:
In 2009, after completing Chapman’s graduate program (MFA in Producing), I accepted full time teaching position at Cuyahoga Community College in Cleveland, as an assistant professor of mass media, journalism, and film production. I had some teaching experience before Chapman, but the graduate school experience was crucial in defining my academic path and getting me to this point.

DODGE: What was the biggest adjustment you faced after graduation and how did you overcome it?

BRUNO:
 After graduation, I had a strong desire to stay in the Los Angeles area and become more involved with the “biz”, but sometimes, our desires don’t match our life’s “scripts.” We have to adjust to various possibilities. I was given an opportunity to continue in another field, and in another town. It was not an easy decision to make. Thanks to my military and life experience, I do have an ability to adjust to various situations and changes – and trust me, there were many of those situations since leaving my “old country” in Eastern Europe long time ago. As Robert Rodriguez would say about filmmaking process: “You’re constantly adjusting… trying to make it better.” The same philosophy applies to life itself.

DODGE:

What is the best advice you have received and/or what advice would you give current students?

BRUNO:
 I cannot name only one person who gave me the best advice. Throughout my life I encountered variety of individuals whose actions and words had positive impact on my life. From my grandfather and my first teachers in former Yugoslavia, to my American college professors, artistic collaborators and mentors. We learn every day. It’s a never-ending process of internal transformation, based on past experiences and new encounters. I tell my students: “The world is complicated and nothing is easy. Use your mind, evaluate everything, and make decisions based on various facts that affect your own life. Choose a major that will motivate you to create things you like and enjoy. Don’t be just a blind follower and consumer. Create content and tell your story!”

bruno-headshot-1
DODGE: What is your favorite memory from your time at Chapman?

BRUNO:
 Without a doubt, my favorite memories are tied to people. From the first day at Chapman, I felt this strong connection between creative minds who have one goal: making movies, telling stories, and creating cinematic art. Today, I’m proud to say that I have great friends all over the world. From Japan and Pakistan, to Namibia and Mexico – they are everywhere and just like me, they have memories and experiences that will never fade away.

DODGE:

What have you taken from the classroom and applied to your career?

BRUNO:
Knowledge. Motivation. Planning and calculation. I’m a calculated risk taker. I produced/directed two indie feature films since leaving Chapman, “Dying 2 Meet U” (2012), an outrageous comedy created on next-to-zero budget; available on VOD/DVD, and an urban drama titled “Lux in Tenebris” (to be released in 2016), starring Oscar Nominee, Eric Roberts. These are self- and crowd-funded productions, so called “ultra-low-budget” films and everyone knows what type of difficulties we face while doing it. But, I received really good producing and production training at Chapman; thanks to educators like Alex Rose, Barbara Doyle, Kiku Terasaki, Dave Kost, David S. Ward, and many others who motivated all of us to create content and push boundaries – in order to succeed. Besides my academic career, screenwriting, and film producing work, I’m also engaged in screen acting (SAG-AFTRA), with several lead and supporting roles in independent feature and short films.

DODGE: Have you received any awards or recognitions?

BRUNO:
Aside from several festival awards for my films, I must say that my biggest “award” is the fact that I was able to overcome rough teenage years in my communist homeland, immigrate to the U.S., pull myself out of steel mills and factory floors, earn college degrees, and finally (in my late 40s) become an educator and motion picture artist. It’s never too late to recognize your own potential, push yourself to achieve higher goals, and eventually – your life’s “third act” will get you the biggest award (I still plan on getting an Oscar, too). See you in the movies!