Career Services for Attallah College Students and Alumni
April 10, 2020
For those hoping to continue or start a job search during these challenging times, the good news is many companies are still hiring.
Your Attallah College Career Advisor Dr. John Bacolores has put together some advice, tips, and resources on locating open positions, conducting video interviews, career workshops, virtual career fairs, and more.
We will continue to update this page as we receive additional information.
Who Is Hiring?
Some schools, school districts, and employers are transitioning quickly to virtual interviews. Others may have instituted temporary hiring freeze or are transitioning more slowly. The key is to know where to look:
- LinkedIn has a landing page where companies are posting opportunities during the COVID-19 pandemic. You can also search #CoronaVirusHiring or #NowHiring on LinkedIn.
- Glassdoor is featuring lists of companies hiring during this time. Check out their articles, “33 Companies Eager to Hire Amid COVID-19” and “60 Companies Hiring to Address COVID-19,” or search their COVID-19 tagged content.
Here are some tips especially for teachers and teacher candidates:
- Many schools and school districts post available positions on Edjoin, whereas others (such as Long Beach Unified School District) host their own career webpages. Check each site regularly to look for updates and new postings.
- The California Center on Teaching Careers is hosting California Virtual Teaching Career Fairs on April 23 and May 28 from 4:00–6:00 pm PT. These free events allow you to virtually interview with districts from all over California.
Network and Prepare
For now, your job search may look different than you anticipated, but continuing your search with patience and persistence is crucial. Reconnect/build your network, update your job application materials, and practice your interview skills.
Here are some tips and resources for maintaining momentum:
- Use the social media platforms (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook) to reach out to individuals and ask for an informational meeting. Use this time to solidify and build your network.
- Check out the Attallah College Professional Dress and Interviewing Google Folder for helpful presentations and resources on conducting interviews and job fairs via phone/video.
- Chapman students and alumni have free, unlimited 24/7 access to InterviewStream, an online mock video interview platform where they can practice and rehearse a preset or custom set of interview questions.
- Book a career advising appointment with Attallah College Career Advisor Dr. John Bacolores on Handshake, either online or on the app on either Apple or Google Play.
Chapman’s Career team also recently launched a series of live Virtual Career Workshops this month:
- April 15, 2020, 12:00–1:00 pm PT: Virtual Networking
- April 20, 2020, 12:00–1:00 pm PT: Phone and Video Interviews
- April 22, 2020, 12:00–1:00 pm PT: Resumes and Cover Letters
Additional workshops will be added in May so check back regularly for updates.
Especially for Attallah College, John Bacolores is hosting an Edjoin Webinar on April 15 from 4:00–5:00 pm PT. He will be sharing application tips and administrator perspectives. Register here.
See our previous article for the complete list of Attallah College career resources available to students and alumni and for more about Attallah Career Advisor Dr. John Bacolores.
For the most up-to-date campus information, see the main Chapman Coronavirus Updates & Resources webpage.