“I consider it an honor to serve as the inaugural President of the Black Staff & Faculty Forum, which many colleagues worked diligently to bring into existence,” said Dr. Howard. “I look forward to working with the Executive Board and the forum’s membership to foster a welcoming and supportive climate for Black staff, faculty, and students at Chapman.”
Forum Goals and Objectives
Chapman University and its Office of the Provost formed the Black Staff & Faculty Forum in summer 2020. The goal of this group is to promote community; support Chapman’s Black administrators, staff, and faculty; and collaborate with administration and other campus partners on fostering a diverse and inclusive environment. The forum is committed to building bridges between Chapman employees, students, alumni, community organizations, and the greater Chapman and Orange County community.
The Black Staff & Faculty Forum is a volunteer organization dedicated to advancing the intellectual, professional, and social development of Black students, staff, and faculty with five key objectives:
- Foster a welcoming and inclusive environment for Black students, staff, and faculty.
- Create and sustain stronger relationships between Black students, staff, and faculty.
- Collaborate with university administrators to increase and retain Black students, staff, and faculty.
- Promote, support, and design initiatives and events celebrating Black history, identity, and culture.
- Develop strategic partnerships with local Black professionals and community organizations.
Initially founded by Chapman’s Vice Provost for Academic Administration and Presidential Advisor on Faculty Diversification Lawrence “LB” Brown, Ph.D., and Associate Director of Student Community Support and Development Justin Riley, the Black Staff & Faculty Forum elected its inaugural executive board in December 2020:
- President: Keith Howard: Attallah College’s Associate Dean of Graduate Education and Academic Affairs
- Vice President: Desirée Crèvecoeur-MacPhail, Assistant Professor of Psychology in Crean College of Health & Behavioral Sciences
- Secretary: Tim Alexander, Resident Director of Residence Life and First Year Experience