Sometimes the best summer job a law student takes has little to do with the law. Chapman University Dale E. Fowler School of Law has a long history of helping its students obtain positions in the entertainment industry, both in and beyond the law. One such student, Asa Pitt (JD ’18), is interning in film production with Jerry Bruckheimer Films this summer.

As an intern, Pitt assists with everything from reading scripts and writing coverage to archiving and general office duties.

“People all over the world consider Jerry Bruckheimer the most successful producer of all time,” he said. “Plain and simple, I wanted to learn from the best of the best. I have gained a ton of industry knowledge and experience during my time at Jerry Bruckheimer Films.”

Although he does not have specific plans to practice as a traditional attorney, Pitt sees the lessons he has learned from Chapman faculty, as well as those he has learned this summer, as a part of the foundation to his future career.

“I think learning from some of the top professionals in the industry can only be a good thing,” he said. “My career goal after becoming a member of The State Bar of California is to find my niche in the entertainment industry. I am not sure exactly what my path will look like moving forward, but I’m confident I will get to where I am supposed to be.”

Thanks to its strong faculty, hands-on Entertainment Law Clinic, and proximity to Southern California’s film industry hub, Chapman’s Entertainment Law Emphasis Program has led students and graduates to positions with companies such as NBCUniversal, Universal Music Latin Entertainment, Warner Music Group, Paramount Pictures, Marvel Studios, Blizzard Entertainment, and Funny or Die, among others.