It’s hard to believe it, but the 2021 Virtual Community of Readers is halfway over! Cheryl Baltes from the School of Education won a devilishly hard-looking puzzle featuring famous first lines of literature at our first meeting on July 1st, and the winner of the raffle at our July 29th meeting will take home a library card print tote bag! All members of the Chapman University community are welcome to join Community of Readers – including and especially students! And since this year’s Community of Readers is entirely virtual, you can take part from wherever you are this summer.
If you haven’t joined in yet due to not knowing what fun reads the Leatherby Libraries has to offer, take a peek at some of the e-book titles listed below! Whether you’re looking for a charming romance to read on the beach, a thrilling adventure to immerse yourself in while you’re eating lunch, or a compelling biography to help inspire you on your summer weekends, the Leatherby Libraries has a trove of e-books for you to explore. Check out one of the books listed below, or any of our e-book titles (use our Catalog Search tool and check “Electronic Book” as the location to find digital titles), then be sure to submit your review to the Community of Readers blog and join us on Thursday, July 29th, and Thursday, August 26th for your chance to win!
- On Love : a Novel – Alain de Botton
- Les misérables – Victor Hugo
- Pride and prejudice – Jane Austen
- Sense and sensibility – Jane Austen
- Jane Eyre – Charlotte Brontë
- The further adventures of Robinson Crusoe – Daniel Defoe
- Love of life and other stories – Jack London
- When the world shook: being an account of the great adventure of Bastin, Bickley and Arbuthnot – H. Rider Haggard
- The poison belt – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
- Historic girls: stories of girls who have influenced the history of their times – E.S. Brooks.
- World leaders of the twentieth century – Salem Press
- Enoch Soames: a memory of the eighteen-nineties – Max Beerbohm
- Samuel Johnson and the Culture of Property – Kevin Hart
Please Note: Some e-books may be unavailable for a period of time due to the number of users who can check-out the e-books simultaneously.
To read an e-book, click “Connect to electronic book” on the title page for the book you would like to read and log in using your Chapman or Brandman University credentials.