The National Science Foundation limits the number of proposals that an institution may submit to the Major Research Instrumentation program to a total of three (3) proposals: two (2) instrument acquisition proposals and one (1) instrument development proposal. Depending on the number of interested faculty, Chapman may need to run this as an internal competition to decide which proposal(s) will move forward for submission. Please review our Internal Competition webpage for more information on how the process works.
Because the submission window for the full proposals is January 1-January 19, 2021, please submit a brief synopsis of your proposal to the Office of Research by Tuesday, December 1, 2020. The synopsis should be sent to SPS@chapman.edu and contain the following information:
- PI Name
- Summary of piece of equipment to be purchased and for what use (one paragraph)
- Specify whether you will purchase or build the equipment (i.e.: acquisition or development proposal category)
- Estimated budget, including federal funds and if needed, Chapman University funds
- Will additional space or remodeling be required?
- What is the plan for maintenance and service cost associated with the equipment?
- What other faculty and/or programs at Chapman will benefit from this major research equipment?
When the number of proposals exceeds the sponsor’s limit, an internal ad hoc committee will be created to review and assist in selection of proposals. Any internal decisions will be made by December 14, 2020.
Please send any questions to SPS@chapman.edu.