Dr. John Miklavcic, Assistant Professor of Food Science

Assistant Professor of Food Science John Miklavcic, Ph.D., has received the Health and Nutrition Division New Investigator Research Award given by The American Oil Chemists’ Society (AOCS). This award is given out annually to researchers who have completed their Ph.D. within the past 10 years or who are under the age of 36. The award recognizes a young scientist who is making significant and substantial research contributions in one of the areas represented by the Health and Nutrition Division of AOCS.

This is not the first award Dr. Miklavcic has received from AOCS. In 2009, he was awarded the Health and Nutrition Division Student Excellence Award. Dr. Miklavcic recalls from that year, “Dr. Ken Stark (from the University of Waterloo, Canada) chaired the session I presented my paper at for the 2009 conference. Funny enough, Dr. Stark won the award (that I just won) in that year, 2009. I looked at Dr. Stark’s productivity, accomplishments and impacts since then and they have been monumental. I now understand this award as not only recognition, but as setting a benchmark for excellence in my field of research and as a catalyst to propel my program into new areas of inquiry.”

The winner of this award receives a $1,000 honorarium and a plaque. Dr. Miklavcic will be presented the award at the AOCS annual meeting in St. Louis this May, where he will also present his research.

Congratulations Dr. John Miklavcic on such a prestigious accomplishment!