We are excited to introduce our Fall 2021 Schmid College Peer Advisors!

Peer Advisors work closely with Program Directors, and together they provide discipline-specific guidance as you progress towards your graduation and career goals. Peer advisors are fellow students who have the training and experience to help you navigate the following academic advising functions:

• 4-year planning
  • Program Evaluation and Credits in major
  • Course content review
  • Recommend major electives
  • Minors within program
  • Study Abroad incorporation with major
  • Graduate school/career (in conjunction with program advisor)
  • Draft resume/ cover letter preparation (in conjunction with Career Advisor)
  • Identifying internship and research opportunities

Meet Your Peer Advisors

We did a quick Q&A with the new peer advisors to get to know them and their area of expertise!

BIOCHEMISTRY & MOLECULAR BIOLOGY PEER ADVISOR: Tracie Okumura

Tracie Okumura

Major: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Minor: Computational Science.
Graduation Year: 2022
Email: BiochemPeerAdvisor03@chapman.edu

Q: Why did you want to become a Peer Advisor?

TO: I wanted to become a Peer Advisor to help build a community within my major. In my college experience thus far, I have had many opportunities and received advice from friends within my major that has made a world of difference – I want to be that friend to everyone in my major who needs it!

Q: What are you looking forward to this semester?

TO: This semester I am looking forward to continuing research in Dr. Owens’ lab, and hopefully making some breakthroughs! Some of my friends are now my lab mates, and I am super excited to work with them!

Q: What is your most valuable piece of advice for college?

TO: My most valuable piece of advice is don’t be afraid to ask, and don’t be afraid to try new things! It can be intimidating, but everything is a learning and growing experience and stepping outside of your comfort zone can lead to amazing things and help you on your way to your future!

BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES PEER ADVISOR: Tori Erikson

Tori Erikson

Major: Biological Sciences
Minor: Nutrition
Graduation Year: 2022
Email: verickson@chapman.edu

TE: I wanted to become a peer advisor because I remember how overwhelmed I felt as a freshman trying to organize all my credits to graduate on time and trying to figure out which classes paired well together. At the time the peer advisor was very helpful in making me feel more organized and less overwhelmed and I am still so grateful for all the help they gave me! Because of that experience, I just wanted to pass that experience along and help the rest of the biology majors feel less stressed and more organized about their course schedule and credits so they can make better use of their time!

TE: This semester I am looking forward to each and every time I get to attend an in-person class instead of sitting in a zoom meeting!

TE: My most valuable piece of advice for college would be to stay as organized as possible and put yourself out there by applying to any internships/programs you may be interested in even if it seems out of reach because that is the best way to grow as both a student and a person. 

CHEMISTRY PEER ADVISOR: Emma Kocik

emma kocik

Majors: Chemistry
Minors: Environmental Science
Graduation Year: 2022
Email: ChemistryPeerAdvisor@chapman.edu

EK: I wanted to become a peer advisor because I was excited at the prospect of getting to help other students navigate the college process. There are so many unique directions to take the chemistry major and it’s cool to get to help students find their path through Chapman and beyond.

EK: I am looking forward, like many, to all the in-person events of the semester. It’s so nice to finally be back in person and I am so grateful to get to have my senior year back in class and in the lab.

EK: If I could go back my advice would be to put less emphasis on grades as a metric of success. I’m finally at the point as a scientist where I see this and am more likely to pat myself on the back for something like exciting results in research than an A on an exam.

ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & POLICY PEER ADVISOR: Eva Stanton 

Eva Stanton

Majors: Environmental Science and Policy & Anthropology
Minors: Political Science and Data Analytics
Graduation Year: 2022
Email: esppeeradvisor@chapman.edu

ES: I wanted to become a peer advisor since my peer advisor, Maddison Milla 2021, had done such a great job inspiring me to achieve all that I could. She played a big part in my ability to strive for excellence, particularly how she was a super solid resource and shoulder to cry on. I wanted to provide the same to my fellow classmates, pushing them to branch out beyond what they may be used to doing as well as making sure that I would be there to uplift them whenever they may need help.

ES: This semester I am looking forward to forging communities in-person with my peers, specifically welcoming in the transfers, rising sophomores, and freshmen who have not had the same opportunities to be on campus as the rest of us. 

ES: My most valuable piece of advice for college is to not be afraid to make mistakes and ask for help! Make the most of your time at Chapman, because it will truly fly by. Do not let anything hold you back from trying everything and achieving the most you can while you are here. Things may get daunting from time to time, but there are countless resources in addition to a ton of people cheering you on who will be there for you no matter what (including your peer advisors)!

ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE & POLICY PEER ADVISOR: Maya Cheav

Majors: Environmental Science & Policy (Policy Emphasis)
Minor: English with a creative writing emphasis
Graduation Year: 2022
Email: esppeeradvisor@chapman.edu

MC: I wanted to become a peer advisor because I had an amazing peer advisor who helped me navigate all my classes, give me guidance, and just be a supportive friend! I want to pay it forward and be able to help other students who need guidance.

MC: I’m most looking forward to rekindling a sense of community at Chapman and be able to connect with other people in a way that we were unable to do virtually.

MC: My most valuable piece of college advice is to be open to new things. This is the time for you to learn about yourself and explore. Try skating! Take a guitar class! Join an improv group! Even if it’s not related to your career or any of your current hobbies, you might surprise yourself and find something you love. 

MATHEMATICS PEER ADVISOR: Siddharth Lodhia

siddharth lodhia

Majors: Mathematics and Business Administration
Graduation Year: 2023
Email: lodhia@chapman.edu 

SL: I wanted to become a peer advisor because I know from personal experience how valuable advice from a student who has been in your shoes can be. I have counted on my peers numerous times when faced with important academic decisions and as a double major I can provide an interesting perspective.

SL: Without a doubt, returning to in-person instruction this year has me most excited. Being in the classroom provides a much more focused learning environment and is very important to maintaining a balance of work and personal interaction.

SL: When studying in the STEM field, the most important piece of advice I have is to enjoy the balance of life. In this field of study, it’s incredibly easy to let yourself be consumed by work and ignore other aspects of your life. But it’s just as important for your academics as it is for your mental health to get outside and enjoy friends, family, and other relationships.

PHILOSOPHY PEER ADVISOR: Arabella Reece

Arabella Reece

Majors: Philosophy & Art History
Graduation Year: 2022
Email: areece@chapman.edu

AR: Going into my third year of being a campus tour guide, I have discovered a great passion for assisting people at all different levels of the college process. Being involved in over five different colleges on campus and taking part in multiple extracurricular fields has given me insight into many different perspectives of Chapman students. I can’t wait to serve as a source of help, advice, or assistance for any students seeking out an advisor that is on the same crazy university journey as they are!

AR: In my senior year, I am most looking forward to just getting the opportunity to be active on campus. The joyful feeling I get from being around the Chapman energy is what ultimately influenced my decision to come here. I definitely lost touch with that after being online for my middle years of college, and my extroverted self has been human-deprived for far too long. So, even in the midst of completing my theses and rushing between way too many obligations, I still try to appreciate even just getting to physically be at such a beautiful place!

AR: My most valuable piece of advice would be to embrace change. Every year of college has been so vastly different from the one before it. I’ve come to realize that the constant change and newness is the college experience! I am grateful for the opportunities I’ve had to explore so many different passions and pursuits throughout my time as a Chapman student, and I encourage everyone reading this to take advantage of that option as well. You never know where you might find yourself 🙂

PHYSICS PEER ADVISOR: Lorryn McKaig

Lorryn McKaig

Major: Physics
Minor: Environmental Science
Graduation Year: 2022
Email: mckaig@chapman.edu

LM: I highly enjoy getting to know other Chapman students and helping out in the Chapman community where I can. I especially enjoy being there for other physics students since there aren’t as many of us compared to other STEM majors. Overall, this is a rewarding job!

LM: I’m very excited to be back in person for my senior year. Seeing so many familiar faces while also meeting new people has been a great start to the semester. I really missed being on campus and I’m so glad to be back here before I graduate.

LM: Take up opportunities and use the resources available to you whenever you can. One way to do this is by paying attention to Chapman’s announcements and newsletters, many of which already go straight to your email each week. If something interests you, it never hurts to find out more!