Mona Sleiman graduated with her B.A. in Communication Studies in 2014 and her M.S. in Health and Strategic Communication in 2015. After working at Chapman as a Project Manager, Mona found her love of recruiting and made the switch to a job in the recruiting field. Below she talks about her time at Chapman, how her degree has helped her in her career, and offers advice on making the most of your relationships. You can connect with Mona on LinkedIn.

Where do you work and what is your job title?
I am an Account Manager at Aerotek

What does your job entail?
I started at Aerotek, one of the top global recruiting firms, in 2016 as a Recruiter, where I was interfacing with candidates and matching them to job opportunities. Now, as an Account Manager, I am responsible for business development for my division. I prospect and identify clients, negotiate terms of the partnership, and oversee the recruitment process for our clients’ needs. I also now manage a Recruiter and am responsible for leading my team to their full potential!

How did you decide to pursue a career in recruiting?
Following my Master’s program, I worked at Chapman as Project Manager on research studies. I absolutely loved recruiting students to be on the team and fostering their development and growth! Through many networking conversations with fellow Panthers thriving in their careers, I came to the idea of a career in recruiting. I love what I do because I get to help people – internally on my team, and externally with our clients and candidates.

How has your communication degree benefited you in your career?
My degree has helped me communicate in a variety of situations – from business communication and interpersonal communication, to even public speaking, everything we do depends on our communication skills! Not only has the content of my Chapman courses enhanced my knowledge, but also interactions (i.e., group projects, extracurricular activities, etc.) with fellow Panthers have taught me how to interact and thrive with others!

What advice do you have for undergraduate students or recent graduates?
Network network network! It is all about WHO you know (in addition to what you know). Every opportunity presented to me, and the successes that I have earned, were all due to the relationships I have built. People are everything – we learn from each other, we push each other to grow, and we celebrate together. Create mutually beneficial relationships and always give back to others around you!