Hello everyone, my name is Amanda Dornsife. I am from the Bay Area. Currently a freshman majoring in Communication Studies, I have minors in both Psychology and Disability Studies. When I was first applying to colleges, I was unsure of exactly what major would set me on the path to success for my future career of becoming a childhood speech and language pathologist (SLP). After speaking with Dr. Andrea Weber, we concluded that a Communication major would be a perfect fit for me and what I wanted to do. The classes are designed to explain exactly what communication is and demonstrate how vital it is to our daily lives, whether that be on a personal, professional, or academic scale. As a child, I struggled to communicate my wants and needs to my parents, so now I can understand just how great a gift and privilege communication and language are. With the combination of a disability and psychology minor, I will be equipped with the knowledge and skills I need in order to obtain a graduate degree and my SLP certification. I am more than happy with my decision to pursue a Communication major at Chapman. 

Thus far, my academic experience has been excellent; all of my professors are caring, available, and very knowledgeable. They remind me that my personal and professional future abilities are truly limitless; communication is a significant component of almost any possible career. My professors inspire me to truly engage in the material I am learning, and as a result, I now have a very optimistic and exciting view of my professional future.

As a freshman, I have only dipped my toes in the endless possibilities of involvement on campus.So far, I have found myself involved in a few different clubs on campus, including active minds (a club attempting to remove the stigma around mental health), pinky swear (national organization raising awareness about childhood cancer), and finally—my favorite—black student union. I am entertaining the idea of possibly rushing next spring for a sorority on campus.

This past fall semester, in a meeting with my first-generation mentor, Michelle Miller-Day, I expressed that I was interested in being more involved in the School of Communication (SoC) and wanted to meet new people. She then recommended that I look into serving on the SoC Student Advisory Board (SAB). While the SoC SAB allows me to meet people in various majors and become more involved, it also allows me to give back and serve others within the communication department. I can communicate with current students and prospective students about my own experience and possibly offer help as well. I am incredibly excited to see what the future holds for me within the SoC SAB.

My goal is to help new, current, and prospective students find their place within the School of Comm and at Chapman in general. I am also hoping to work with my SAB peers to prioritize mental health within the SoC, revitalize and build upon the already existing WeCare initiative. I am so grateful that I have been able to join such a wonderful community and group on campus. I’m always here and would love to help students in any way possible. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out! 

You can email me at dornsife@chapman.edu