Hi! My name is Kyle Liu, and I am a graduating senior double majoring in Strategic and Corporate Communication and Psychology. Over this semester, I had the pleasure of interning at Studio71 as a Podcast Growth and Marketing Intern. My internship lasted for 10 weeks as I worked from home remotely. Throughout this internship, I was able to learn all about the podcast industry, such as how they can monetize them as well as how they can create a new business avenue for creators. I was also able to build off of the education that I have gotten through the School of Communication and apply that education to a real-world setting.

I was able to find this internship through LinkedIn. I had actually first heard of this internship from a friend however they were not able to go through with it because they had already committed to another internship. Because of that, they suggested that I apply, and after an interview, I got the internship. Some of my primary responsibilities as a Podcast Growth and Marketing Intern were drafting descriptions and promos, doing breakdowns on potential talent, writing marketing reports on the number of downloads or the performance of promos, and working on a final project with all of the other interns.

Each week the interns would meet up for a weekly seminar where we would hear from a different department from Studio71 and where we could ask them any questions about their department or their roles. This really helped me gain a more holistic view of what a media company looks like and how they are able to generate revenue as well as how many different areas they could be a part of. At the end of the internship, the interns were tasked with creating a final project where we would present a business venture that would drive growth in the company in front of multiple high-rank employees. This really helped me gain the ability to utilize my education in a real-life application. Throughout many of my classes, I have learned about multiple case studies of how real businesses create growth. However, there was never a possibility of creating change in the company, but with the final project in my internship, I could apply the experience I gained from the School of Communication in a real-world setting.

If there are any other students out there that are thinking of how they can get the most out of their internship, I have a couple of pieces of advice for you. Firstly an internship is all about gaining experience, so not knowing what you want to do for a career when going into an internship is completely normal. However, if you do have some idea of what you want to pursue, then make sure you make that apparent to your supervisor to ensure that you are getting the more relevant experience that you are looking for. Secondly, make sure you network as much as you can, whether that is by conducting informational interviews with employees at the company or getting to know other interns that are in the same place as you are. Finally, you only get what you put in. Try and put as much effort into the internship as you can because that is only going to get you farther. However, don’t burn yourself out; making sure to also have fun and learn as much as possible is equally, if not more, important.

Media tools

Podcast Examples