The CAL FIRE’s office offers safety tips for using fireworks over the long weekend. We at Chapman University’s office of Information Security would also like to offer some safety tips for online safety. Just like increased firework activity, phishers will be active over the long holiday weekend and will try to get you to click on their phish email messages. Below are some simple tips to help keep you safe from such online attacks:
- Fire tip: Local ordinances should be verified before purchasing and/or using fireworks.
- Online safety tip: Refer to the Chapman safety tips chapman.edu/security for online safety
- Use fireworks outdoors only.
- Phishing emails will come to you wherever you are; indoors, on the Chapman campus or on the road
- Keep a safe distance.
- Deleting a phish email keeps keeps the email at a safe distance
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Please do not forward phish email in your Chapman email inbox, except to report to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Never experiment with fireworks.
- Phish email carries dangerous attachments or malicious URL links – do not try opening attachments or clicking links to see what happens.
- Always have an adult present.
- We’ll pass on this one J
Just like Fireworks, Keep phishers at a safe distance! Have a safe and happy 4th!
Please remember to follow Chapman University | Information Systems & Technology on FACEBOOK for continued updates and information on important IS&T news and events.