Since graduating,
alumna Laura Figge
(
Master of Science in Health Communication
’12) has been working as the Communications, PR & Education Manager at Health Essentials, an organization that cares for frail and elderly patients. Figge develops patient education materials, communications campaigns to launch EMR and HIPAA training and oversees all internal communications and public relations – all of which her master’s degree has prepared her for.

Headshot of woman.
“On a daily basis, I am supported and guided by the practices and lessons I learned from the HCOM program at Chapman University,” said Figge.

Earning her master’s degree in Strategic Health Communication from Chapman has benefited Figge personally and professionally.

“On a personal level, I was challenged, yet always given the support and resources to succeed. I have never worked harder, yet never felt so rewarded upon completion. Every project, research paper and campaign have been turnkey items that benefit me in my professional career after graduate school,” said Figge.

A master’s degree is extremely useful in obtaining additional certifications that can leverage in ones career. Currently, Figge is in the process of becoming a Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) from the National Commission from Health Education Credentialing, Inc.

“With my MS in Strategic Health Communication degree completed, I am pre-qualified to take the certification exam, which is offered every year in April. Those interested in taking the exam can apply each year in November and are notified once they are deemed eligible,” said Figge.

Click here for more information regarding the certification exam.