TV IS GOOD 4 U
Comedies – Dramas – News – Documentaries
Welcome to TV IS GOOD 4 U, the blog about all things TV at Chapman University. Just in the past few weeks here:
- Professor Pete Weitzner took students to a taping of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
- We screened Rising Above, this year’s HBO-style one-hour drama pilot created, written, produced and directed entirely by our students. The screening was held in our 500-seat state-of-the art theater. Last year’s pilot, Kate So Far, received Outstanding Drama nominations at the New York Television Festival and the LA NexTV Festival. We expect Rising Above to be equally acclaimed.
- Screened the amazing documentaries Crude (about an oil spill, how timely is that?) and Food, Inc.
- CSI: Miami producer/director Marco Black spoke to the Prime Time TV Club
The Television and Broadcast Journalism major at Chapman covers the full spectrum of television opportunities – documentaries, prime-time comedies and dramas, and broadcast journalism. We’re even into Internet TV: go to You Tube or Funnyordie and check out episodes of our student created and produced web series Red White & Blue, Model Family, and Super Zeroes.
Why is TV Good 4 U? Check out this quote from LA Times entertainment writer Patrick Goldstein: If you want to see sparkling comedy and compelling drama, you’d have much better luck staying home, curled up in front of your TV set instead of hiring a baby-sitter and fighting traffic getting to the multiplex… in TV, writer-producers have far more creative clout than they can ever possess in movies. David Simon (“The Wire” and “Treme”), David Chase (“The Sopranos”), Aaron Sorkin (“The West Wing”), Vince Gilligan (“Breaking Bad”), Matthew Weiner (“Mad Men”), Jenji Kohan (“Weeds”) and Greg Daniels (“The Office”) aren’t running networks. But they are running their TV shows, and often with iron-clad assurances of artistic freedom… Just turn on your TV. In terms of creativity, it’s where the real racehorses are running. Patrick Goldstein, LA Times, April 12, 2010
We hope you’ll follow this blog – with new posts almost every day – and are convinced that when you see how many exciting things are happening in TV here, you’ll agree that:
- TV IS GOOD 4 U
- The best TV program in the country is at Chapman.