Chancellor Daniele Struppa proposes a new approach to two important problems in the theory of functional calculus in his new book, Noncommutative Functional Calculus: Theory and Applications of Slice Hyperholomorphic Functions, published by Birkhauser.

Co-written with Fabrizio Colombo and Irene Sabadini from the Politecnico di Milano, Italy’s largest technical university, the book has the potential to offer new tools to quantum physicists.

“This area of work began when I published a paper in 2006, in which I gave a new definition of regularity for functions in four-dimensional spaces. My co-authors and I then realized that my new definition could be the starting point to resolve a long-standing open problem, namely the possibility of defining a functional calculus for non-commuting operators, such as the one that appears in quantum physics. In a few years, we developed a full theory for such calculus, and this is now presented for the first time in this book,” Chancellor Struppa said.

Among Chancellor Struppa’s other writings are more than 100 mathematical publications, including two other books. He has also served as editor of several volumes.