Due to Chapman’s graduation ceremonies being postponed, Chapman asked the alumni community to send our graduating classes words of encouragement during this time. Below is a message from environmental science & policy alumna, Jenny Gritton ’19.

Dear Graduating Class of 2020,

I remember it rained on my graduation day. I was so bummed! I spent the entire week leading up to my graduation checking the weather, hoping the rain forecast would change, but it didn’t budge. Sure enough, the clouds rolled in and it rained during our entire ceremony; but instead of bringing a dreary gloom or ruining our big day, it actually made the day so much more special.

Something about the uniqueness of the situation (we all know it basically never rains in Orange) and the strength of our excitement and pride overcoming the weather made that day something I’ll never forget. Despite the circumstances, we were too happy to let anything ruin our accomplishments. It made me realize it wasn’t about the moment I walked across the stage. It was about the four years that got me there.

You have the greatest chance of all to graduate college in a way you will NEVER forget. I don’t think any class will ever experience what the class of 2020 is experiencing (at least, I sure hope not). Your graduation is the most unique and the most special graduation of all of us, and I’m sure you’ll be telling stories of how you graduated college under quarantine for the rest of your life. I hope you take this opportunity to realize that it’s not about today–it’s about the years of work, effort, passion, and fun that got you here.

Congratulations, class of 2020! Go kill it!

With Panther Pride,

Jenny Gritton ’19
Environmental Science & Policy Alumna

While at Chapman, Jenny was involved as a Chapman Ambassador, Orientation Leader, was an active member of the Schmid Student Leadership Council, and served as the Peer Advisor for the Environmental Science & Policy program.  Passionate about physical and mental health, she became certified in two group fitness instruction formats, Zumba and Spin. Jenny became Chapman’s Zumba instructor on campus. For nearly two years, she worked on research with Dr. Bostean using GIS to examine sociodemographic disparities in access to sustainable transport in Orange County. In 2017, she was the recipient of the Orange County Association of Environmental Professionals undergraduate scholarship and in the summer of 2018 became a certified Green Star Accredited Professional (the New Zealand equivalent being LEED GA certified) while interning for the New Zealand Green Building Council.  As a senior, Jenny was inducted into Chapman’s first cohort of the Phi Beta Kappa honors society, the oldest most prestigious honors society in the nation. Following graduation, Jenny moved to Denver to pursue a career in sustainable design, while continuing her work as a group fitness instructor.