Software and Device Purchasing Guidelines Things to know before buying software or a new device on a PCard
March 10, 2022
Chapman University has specific guidelines for purchasing hardware and software that all staff members and faculty members must follow. These guidelines are in place to protect both the university and the individuals purchasing the products.
Below are some quick tips on best practices for faculty and staff considering purchasing any new hardware or software:
- Important Note: Before starting the process, staff and faculty should first get approval from their unit or department for purchases.
- All software purchased and downloaded to any Chapman computer equipment requires an agreement to be reviewed & approved by their department, IS&T, Purchasing, and Legal Affairs before the purchase. Please follow the steps below when purchasing software:
- All software purchases must also be checked and cleared by our Digital Accessibility and Information Security teams before sending them to Legal Affairs for approval. Complete and submit the online Software Application Review form.
- Once the Software Application Review process has been completed and approved by IS&T, you may send the request to Legal Affairs.
All technology equipment purchases (including laptops, tablets, iPads, and software) must go through your department and IS&T. This means that employees and faculty members can’t use their personal credit or debit card without approval from the university. Without prior authorization, staff and faculty may not purchase this equipment on their P-card or use their personal credit card. The university policy is that all technology and software purchases are made via a Purchase Order (PO) through your respective college/department.
Not following these guidelines may result in the product not being supported or the university not providing support. Also, the purchaser may not be eligible for reimbursement.
For more information about hardware and software purchasing at Chapman University, please review our online resources listed below before making a purchase:
- Fiscal Policy (provided by Financial Services)
- Software Purchase Review
For any questions or concerns, please email the Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chapman University Information Systems and Technology