Lauren Lynam ’21, graduated with a double major BS in environmental science and policy and economics, with a certificate in applied statistical analysis. While at Chapman, Lauren conducted research alongside Dr. Tom Piechota, was first author on a published paper, and presented her research at American Geophysical Union. She also was the second environmental science student from Chapman to intern at Lex Opus law firm with Mohammad Ghods, who is the parent of an alumna.

Lauren recently was accepted with a full-ride scholarship to New England Law to pursue a career in law and policy development. We asked Lauren a few questions about her time at Chapman, her future career plans, and some tips and advice she leaves for current students!

Lauren Lynam

Q & A with Lauren Lynam

Q: What made you want to pursue law?

LL: “I want to specialize in the intersection of environmental science and economics, through data analysis and application through policy. I see this possible by pursuing a career in law and policy development.”

Q: What was your favorite thing about working for Lex Opus Law Firm?

LL: “I am no longer working for Lex Opus, but I did really enjoy learning about the process of litigation.”

Q: How did your Chapman degree prepare you for that role?

LL: “My Chapman degrees prepared me for the role by encouraging me to take challenging classes, furthering my problem-solving skills and ability to thoughtfully work through challenges.”

Lauren Lynam with classmates at AGS

Lauren Lynam ’21 with ES&P alumni Ari Jong ’16 and Marc Rosenfield ’16 at American Geophysical Union (AGU) in New Orleans.

Q: What was your favorite memory from Chapman?

LL: “I have so many amazing memories at Chapman, from weekend trips with friends to presenting academic research at a national conference, it’s hard to narrow it down to one memory. But my favorite thing about Chapman is that I have been able to work closely with faculty members and have had amazing opportunities for achievement.”

Q: Who were some of your most influential Schmid faculty members?

LL: “Some of the most influential Schmid faculty members during my time at Chapman were Dr. Keller and Dr. Piechota. Dr. Keller is the chair of the environmental science and policy major. He oversees all the students and takes an interest in each one of them. To have a professor looking out for all of us to that degree encourages high achievement and I think makes us all want to be better. Dr. Piechota was my research advisor. With his help, we were able to publish our research in the academic journal Water, regarding projections of California’s droughts through the year 2100. Without these professors, my experience a Chapman would have been completely different, and I’m so thankful to have had them by my side.”

Q: What is one thing you would say to your first-year self?

LL: “College is hard. We are all kids learning to navigate our personal lives, developing our own lifestyles, and taking really challenging classes. One piece of advice I would give to my first-year self, and to every first-year, is to take every opportunity you can while still living a balanced lifestyle. Success isn’t just going to walk through the door one day. You need to make opportunities for yourself and take the ones around you that are available to reach your full potential. Every student coming into Chapman has the capability of becoming something great, you just have to put in a little bit of work!”