Author: Sabrina Davis, ’12- Graphic Design Major/Food Science & Nutrition Minor
Wilkinson Review Spring 2013

In 2005 Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple and Pixar, gave the commencement address at Stanford University. Not long ago I read a copy of this address and was captivated by his personal journey and struck by his advice, “…don’t let the noise of others opinions drown out your own inner voice, and most important have the courage to follow your own heart and intuition; they somehow already know what you truly want to become”. As I read these words, I realized that this sentiment is at the heart of how I have chosen to live, and I attribute my liberal arts education at Chapman University for helping guide me on my own unique path.

Art has always played an important part in my life. To me, art is a powerful way to express feelings and beliefs, and to educate and inspire. It was during my time at Chapman University that I discovered how I would incorporate my passion for art into a career.

My first challenge at Chapman was deciding on a major. Motivated by the idea that your first year of college is about exploration I took a variety of courses in different subjects. By the end of the year I had narrowed my decision to either a food science or graphic design major. Then I had an epiphany; there was no reason why I couldn’t do both. A food science and nutrition minor would be an asset to a graphic design major, providing a specific area of focus within a broader context.

Continue reading this story in the Spring 2013 addition of the Wilkinson Review page 14 …