In 2020, the Educational Technology Services team updated Canvas Conferences (BigBlueButton) to the Premium version to help instructors easily transition into teaching online during the COVID pandemic. We also introduced the Zoom Pro integration in Canvas and pivoted to using Zoom as our instructors’ primary video conferencing platform. Please be advised that we will return to the “basic” version of BigBlueButton on January 1, 2023, when our current subscription expires.
The following describes a list of expected changes to BigBlueButton:
- Recordings will automatically be deleted after seven days.
- The ability to invite external guests will be unavailable.
- Meeting analytics will become unavailable.
We will continue to support Zoom and recommend that you prepare by reviewing the changes and consider switching to Zoom if BigBlueButton no longer meets your needs.
- Recordings are available for 120 days (about 4 months) before expiring.
- All recordings are automatically backed up to your Microsoft OneDrive account.
- You can invite external guests.
- Zoom offers meeting analytics and meeting reports at https://chapman.zoom.us
- All Chapman University instructors receive a Zoom Pro license
- BigBlueButton Canvas FAQs
- BigBlueButton and Canvas – Basic Features
- How to use BigBlueButton
- Getting Started with Zoom in Canvas
If you need assistance downloading recordings in BigBlueButton or switching to Zoom, please contact Educational Technology Services at firstname.lastname@example.org at your earliest convenience, and one of our instructional analysts will be happy to assist you.
For technical assistance, please do not hesitate to contact the Service Desk at 714-997-6600 or email@example.com.
Chapman University Information Systems & Technology