Day 2: It is the Labor Day weekend and I found myself in one of those crowded malls that Southern California does better than just about anywhere else in the world. As the sea of people criss-crossed before us, I asked my two sons (Noah, aged 9, and Joshua, just turned 7) what they could see. Inevitably they answered ‘loads and loads of people’. I remembered asking them the same question a few years ago when we lived in London and were attempting to navigate Victoria Street Station at rush hour to get to our train platform. I suggested to them that the trick was not to see the people, but to look for the gaps, passages, and tunnels that all crowds produce. Once we trained (excuse the pun) our eyes in this way, finding a path was like any maze – simple once you know the pattern. This is what is involved in setting a new path (for yourself, a department, a University college…) – the trick is not to focus on the obstacles but on the gaps. Our best chance of finding innovative ways forward is to be aware of what is before us, but more aware of the passages through them.