Name: Ally Long

Graduate Degree/Year/Concentration: MBA ’23, Marketing Concentration

Company: San Diego Padres

Position: Community Relations Intern

What excites you about this company or job?

I have been an athlete for the majority of my life, so getting the opportunity to work in the sports industry, especially with a Major League Baseball team, is a dream come true. What excites me most about the Padres is their involvement in the San Diego community. In my department, I will be working directly with programs that create opportunities for engagement between fans and the team, including involvement with local veterans, students, and their families.

How did you strategize landing this internship?

A very powerful piece of the Chapman University MBA Program is its Mentorship Program. At the beginning of the year, I was paired with a mentor to help guide me through the program as well as help me set goals, pursue jobs, and prepare for interviews. My mentor, Eric Morley, was an enormous help in landing this internship. Early on, we created a game plan to accomplish my goals. I began by reaching out to people who had positions that I aspired to. Eric also introduced me to many people who worked in the sports industry.  They shared their personal experiences and gave great advice on how to get started with my own journey.  Once the Padres opened up their applications, Eric and I worked together to highlight aspects of my resume that pertained to this position. When called for my interviews, I was able to use my experiences as an athlete and passion for community involvement to secure the internship.

Do you have any career advice for anyone looking for an internship or job in this market?

The best advice that I can give to anyone looking to work in the sports industry, is to build a portfolio of experiences and skills that are beneficial for your desired position. For example, being a member of the Chapman Women’s Water Polo team, and a collegiate athlete for four years demonstrates my passion for athletics. My involvement volunteering in local events such as food drives, fundraisers, and marathons shows my commitment to community engagement.

Lastly, pursue a job that excites you. I have always loved the Padres and Major League Baseball. I really believe that your excitement for a job comes through when you interview.